Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting Sub-Columns in a Matrix Table

Hello,

I am currently unable to sort my matrix visualization by sub columns. I want myself and end users to be able to click on any fiscal month within a matrix (such as August 2020) and have all of the data points (count of lead) sort (either asc or desc) by count. Currnetly, the table is sorted by default by descending by count of fiscal year (which is the grand total)

Please note that for the matrix depicted, there are two column headers: A fiscal year header, followed by a fiscal month header. Rows are grouped as well - by campaign.

Again, the desired functionality is that I should be able to click on the header of ANY column, whether it be an individual month, a year subtotal, or the grand total of all years, and have it sort (asc or desc) by count. I have searched for solutions, but all solutions seem to be centered around creating a calculated measure. I don't think this will work, as at the end of the day the calculated measure still has to be sorted by year/month/grand total.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous unfortunately this functionality is not available in the matrix visual. 

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rjhartop
Helper II
Helper II

Hi, this blog post should hopefully provide a useful start to sorting by any column:

https://affinityworks.co.uk/power-bi-matrix-column-sort-sorted/

You will likely need to use two slicers instead of one to handle the parent and child column headers

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I know there are some matrix custom visual but I personally never spent much time on those, you can look at the marketplace and test it out. 

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous unfortunately this functionality is not available in the matrix visual. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you aware of any other visualizations that would allow me to represent the data in such a fashion?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.