Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting Day/Month Chronologically (Past X Days)

Hi,

Is there a way that the dates can be sorted chronologically with this visual where dates are being shown in Day/Month format?
The issue occurs when traversing dates from last year to this year (e.g. getting last 30 days).

cmd15_3-1642401516996.png

From above example, correct order is from 19/12 to 17/01. 

I can't sort by a custom column Year-Month-Day because I will have multiple values of these for the same Day/Month value.

cmd15_2-1642401376346.png

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous the one way you can do this is, change your day/month column to date (maybe last or first date of the month) and make the custom format string to as dd/mm, it will take care of the sort issue, the display will be dd/mm but internally it will be date and will sort out correctly.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

Learn about conditional formatting at Microsoft Reactor

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I did a video on something similar a few days ago 🙂

Anyhow glad you have a solution. Do join my youtube channel, (line below) where you will find interesting power bi related videos. cheers!

My latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous doesn't matter if it is in a list or not, you can manually add it as a format string

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you ! It worked. It was my first time using Custom Text Format too!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous the one way you can do this is, change your day/month column to date (maybe last or first date of the month) and make the custom format string to as dd/mm, it will take care of the sort issue, the display will be dd/mm but internally it will be date and will sort out correctly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @parry2k !

Thanks for responding! However, I couldn't find a dd/mm in the list of date formats.

cmd15_0-1642474210056.png

Should I change the data type to Date?

Thanks!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Have you tried adding your Year-Month-Day column to the tooltips area and then using it to sort the visual (click ellipsis on visual and change sort)?

Which visual is that? Dot Plot?

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mahoneypat !

It's a scatterchart. I tried adding the field in tooltips but it's not working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.