Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sort years in chronological order

Sorry, I know it is not a new topic but I want to understand if there is a simple way to do it.

Is there a way to sort years chronogically? Only creating new columns?

Ordering is a big issue for me. In PBI Desktop I am only able to sort decreasingly, whatever variable, I have not the option to sort increasingly, while I can do it when I publish the report in PBI Service.

Why?

Thank you so much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi nick93,

Click the left part which I have circled in red color, do not click the text.

捕获.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi nick93,

Click arrow button then click Sort ascending.

捕获.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft thanks for answering!

Unfortunately, that doesn't solve my issue. My visuals get not updated the way I want, only my Query Editor tables get updated, but they were yet. 

Hi nick93,

In a chart(e.g.: table chart), you can click the ellipse on the right-top corner, then click sort by date. You can also click sort by date again to change the order.

1.PNG2.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft and thanks

When I build that table, my years are already sorted in the opposite order (2017, 2016, 2015, ...) and clicking on the right-top corner shows me that the sorting option with the arrow from Z to A is already picked.

I know it works as you said for dates, but I work with years memorized as numbers, so maybe that's why it doesn't work (however I would not understand why)

Hi nick93,

I still can't reproduce your issue as below, if possible, can you share your PBIX file for further analysis?

1.PNG2.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft sure!

My issue with years still exists in filters, as shown here. You can see the sorting option is already picked, it sorts in the opposite way and I can't change it

1.png

A similar issue comes with other numeric data filters. Here the sorting is not what I expected and I can't do anything to change it. There is no sorting option different than the one already picked which sorts this way.

2.png

3.png

Hi nick93,

Click the left part which I have circled in red color, do not click the text.

捕获.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

So simple but I made this mistake too, thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft I don't know how to thank you!!!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are your years numeric? Generally, if you sort by a column and then sort by that column again it reverses the direction of the sort.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler thank you for answering, you are right, my years where memorized as text, but changing them to numbers gives me a new issue: all the visuals now are ok excepting filters, which still are in bad order (2017, 2016, ...). How can I fix it?

Moreover, text filters are ok (sort alphabetically), tables are ok too, while histograms are in the opposite order (for example, Wine comes first than Water). Why?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.