Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Nick_de_Beijer

Sort x-axis by time instead of legend (scatter chart) without losing legend colours

Dear community members,

I'm quite new to PowerBI but not to SQL/Excel.

I want to create a scatter chart in which possible opportunities for big projects in the future are shown (time based on x-axis). These projects are ranked so that they all will have an unique data point in the graph.

Now when I add a field as legend, the graph changes itself and sorts by the different categories known in legend first. I don't want to sort by legend, but I do want to keep the same colours for the categories in legend.

I can't seem to combine this.

Does anyone know a solution to this? I did see another similar post but the legend colours weren't saved in the solution...

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Without legend (sorted by date)Without legend (sorted by date)

With legend activated (sorted by legend, date))With legend activated (sorted by legend, date))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nick_de_Beijer ,

You can keep "Show blank values" on.

point.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DianeGeo

What if I can't find the "show blank values" under Y-axis of the format pane?  My last line is "Line Style" and it appears to be partial.  Appreciate knowing any other way to display data sorted by X-axis while showing legend colours.  I'm a new user. Thanks.  Diane

DianeGeo_0-1611198733437.png

I should have scrolled down to see "show blank values".  Time sorting worked!

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nick_de_Beijer ,

You can keep "Show blank values" on.

point.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

superb!

Is it possible to not show the dots in bottom?

@Icey ,

Thanks for your time and this sollution, it seems to do the trick!

When I apply the option to show blank values the graph is able to keep the sort option on the x-axis including showing the legend in the same graph.

Can you explain me why this option has to be selected?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Icey.JPG

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, I try to reproduce this and it is real. It looks like something to report a ticket in support. Anyway, I figure out that the visualization won't work with a legend and a hierarchy. If you have an axis X with date hierarchy you won't be able. It crashes when it has to sort by one of the columns of the hierarchy. It won't sort taking care of the father of it.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Ibarrau,

Thanks for your time and your reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.