cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shill1000 Member

Re: Sort using the Sort by Column Button not Working

I've tested this with simple sample data and it works fine - suggests the issue may lay in your data?

I created a query from the Excel file on the right, in which I sorted by the ID column. I then applied the 'Sort by Column' using the index column successfully, in the visual.

Test Sort by Hidden Column.JPG

Gazzer Member

I have tried duplicating your sample, creating an Excel file, but it still does not sort. The only way I can get something which looks like what you have is to include the Index column in the display table and then reduce its width to zero so that it cannot be seen.

I appreciate your persistence with this!

shill1000 Member

Very strange! Only thing I can think of is to check the datatype. In the sample, if you replcated exactly what I did, what datatype shows for each fo the 4 columns? Should be, in order, Index = Whole Number, ID = Text, Name = Text, Age = Whole Number. If any are a different data type that could be your issue. As you appear to be taking in data with German as he language I wonder if it is confusing the type detection? May have to update each type manually after import?

Gazzer Member

Not sure where you got German from - it is all English and typed in by hand, not imported. The index column is data type of whole number (as can be seen from my screenshot).

I did not copy your data - in my sample file there is only two columns - the numeric index and the text description, which I did to make it as simple as possible (again, visible in the screenshot).

Not sure where to go with this now - thanks for trying to help.

shill1000 Member

Sorry I got two threads mixed up! 

Just for the sake of sanity, can you try it using the same data as my sample and see if you get the same results? I think you need to rule out th esource data as a cause.

Vvelarde Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@Gazzer

Hi, Using your sample:

Select Description from Field Panel after that go To Sort By Column and Choose Index.

And Voila!!!. 

Like this:

Sort.gif

Victor

Lima - Peru

Lima - Peru
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Gazzer Member

Thank you Victor (and others) - the issue was me misreading the instructions. I was selecting the Index field in the list instead of the Description field.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 141 members 1,746 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: