Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Namoh
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Sort table on fiscal months setup (apr-may-jun-etc) instead of standard month setup (jan-feb-mrt-et)

Hi, I have the following issue.
I've created a tabel graph which automatically is sorted by the months (jan-feb-mrt-etc).
I want to sort the graph starting with the first month of our fiscaal year april (so apr-may-jun-etc).

I've created a column called FiscalMonth which represent the fiscal month of that year, so for Apr 2016 it shows 1, Jun 2017 shows 3, etc.

I've sorted my Month column by the FiscalMonth column.

Still my table shows the months sorted as standard.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, how to solve this?

Sort_2.pngSort_1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi  @Namoh 

"I just don't understand yet, why this sorting didn't worked for my original column"

Because there is no Month Name in original date column, it is built-in date hierarchy, you just sort by column for date column, not column of date built-in hierarchy.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @Namoh 

Please add a Month name column, then set sort by column for the Month name column, not this Date column.

3.JPG

Now use Month name column in the visual instead of Month in that date column.

4.JPG

Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft / Lin,

thanks for your reply.

I did what you showed and at first it worked half, it would show April 1st, but then it would show January, February, March, May, June, etc.

Sort_4.png

I found out that this was caused because the FiscaalMonth table was not defined as a Number, which resulted in the sorting 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.

After defining the FiscaalMonth table as a number, the graph showed perfectly.

Sort_5.png

I just don't understand yet, why this sorting didn't worked for my original column....?

Any ideas or explanation why this sorting based on FiscaalMonth didn't work on my original column?

hi  @Namoh 

"I just don't understand yet, why this sorting didn't worked for my original column"

Because there is no Month Name in original date column, it is built-in date hierarchy, you just sort by column for date column, not column of date built-in hierarchy.

Regards,

Lin

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Namoh , Please refer this blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Creating-Financial-Calendar-Decoding-Date-and-Calend...

This link has FY calendar for all 12 months with sort column for month and qtr.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.