Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbihelp87
Helper III
Helper III

Sort in Matrix Visual

I am having issues sorting my data exactly like it is in this excel file. I even added a sort column to make it easier. I need the matrix to show the same exact sort order as the sort column.  I tried different ways but had no luck achieving this.  i added dummy data below along with a screen shot from Power BI.  There is basic table visual and then matrix visual.

CategoryBrandsub-brandsalesSORT
TelephoneGirlEE1001
TelephoneGirl level6542
TelephoneGirlMGR1653
TelephoneGirlEXEC 46544
TelephoneGirlEXEC545
TelephoneGirlblue236
TelephoneColorEE87487
TelephoneColorPLANT4168
TelephoneColorMGR659
TelephoneColorVP9810
TelephoneColorSENIOR92611
TelephoneColorEXEC1412
TelephoneColorblue654613
TelephoneTurnCompany46514
TelephoneTurnABOVE415
TelephonefemaleCompany2165116
TelephonefemaleABOVE6417
Telephoneturn colorCompany99618
Telephoneturn colorABOVE9319
TelephonescoreMIX6920
TelephonescoreFemale4521
TelephonescorePOC2122
Telephonescorefront-323
OutreachFondantMetrics-2724
OutreachFondantComments-5125
Business SPEND-7526

2021-09-19_14-41-58.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
powerbihelp87
Helper III
Helper III

I wanted to provide my work around I used incase anyone else gets stuck.

I used the Min of the Sort column as the last value on the matrix. I then sorted it and hid the column using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bp_e-ik7aA

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
powerbihelp87
Helper III
Helper III

I wanted to provide my work around I used incase anyone else gets stuck.

I used the Min of the Sort column as the last value on the matrix. I then sorted it and hid the column using this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bp_e-ik7aA

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hey, 

if you go directly to the table not the visual, you can dort the columns using a reference the sort column for the whole dataset, so when you get that data on the visual it will sorted, 

if not also you can try to put the sort column a value field and in the options section of the visual you can sort the visual by that field values

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you so much for the quick response!! The issue is that the Rows or table columns have duplicates which prevents Power BI to Sort By

powerbihelp87_0-1632078310600.png

create a custom column that concatenate the category,brand, sub brand, delite the index column or try using the index column for the sort reference, or the custom column also. try both and see wicth works for u

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Yes, I tried that as well on my real dataset. i created a concatenated column. It works if I use the concatenated column in the matrix but I want to use the original columns to give the drill down appearance of a matrix.

you use the fact table sort the value column based on that custom column, that data should appear sorted for that value even if the costum column isnt used when you use the value as a value field value

unfortunately, still no luck. Thanks for the feedback. I will see if there is something else I can do

powerbihelp87_0-1632102504764.png

powerbihelp87_1-1632102523619.png

unfortunately, still no luck. Thanks for the feedback. I will see if there is something else I can do

powerbihelp87_0-1632102504764.png

powerbihelp87_1-1632102523619.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.