Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TinyTV

Sort chart based on hidden column

Hi,

I'm new to Power BI and have used some visualisation tools in the past but am struggling with this one.

I need to order a chart by a column which I do not want to display i.e. by a hidden column.

In this case I have values by month but need to display them in order of financial year which runs July - June.

Every time I try something it seems to default back to alphabetical order, I've created new columns and measures using differen A-Z and 1-9 type approaches but nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @TinyTV,

We can not sort by a measure, but we can sort by a calculated column through test. You need to select the column by which we want to sort, in the Fields pane, the Sort by Column button becomes active. You cam review more details in the blog.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally this is done by using the Sort By functionality in the model. So you can select the column that you are displaying in the model and choose Sort By and then have it sorted by a different column.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

Thanks for response - I've had some success with this on a few columns and charts but then not on others. Is there a limit to having this functionality work on a created column or measure instead of one that was included as part of the data that was imported?

Thanks

Hi @TinyTV,

We can not sort by a measure, but we can sort by a calculated column through test. You need to select the column by which we want to sort, in the Fields pane, the Sort by Column button becomes active. You cam review more details in the blog.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors