Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

barlevitzky
Helper II
Helper II

Sort by value

Hi all,

I am trying to sort these table columns by values (column revenue), so the higher total value will be the first from the left and so on. 

I clicked on the sort by column but nothing happened. 

Capture.JPG

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
barlevitzky
Helper II
Helper II

Hi All,

I found a workaround solution. 

After I changed between Rows and Columns parameter (ID will be Rows instead of Date) and apply column subtotal, I was able to sort by Sum of revenue values.

So the final result wasn't exactly like I wanted to but we will have to adjust it. 

Capture.JPG

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
barlevitzky
Helper II
Helper II

Hi All,

I found a workaround solution. 

After I changed between Rows and Columns parameter (ID will be Rows instead of Date) and apply column subtotal, I was able to sort by Sum of revenue values.

So the final result wasn't exactly like I wanted to but we will have to adjust it. 

Capture.JPG

wwhittenton
Helper II
Helper II

Hi  @barlevitzky,

I'm not sure the Matrix visual can do what you're asking, but give this a shot:

In your matrix, click on the elipses at the top right. In the dialogue box that appears, see if there is a "sort by 'x'" section that will do what you're looking for.

elipses sort in matrix.PNG

Hi @wwhittenton

Done that, nothing changed.

Capture1.JPG

@barlevitzky

Alright, I think I may have it. You'll want to create a new table that can handle the totaling for you, by doing the following:

1. create a new table that houses the values you're looking to use:

Table2 = SUMMARIZE( 'table' , 'table'[ID] )

2. calculate the totals in a new column that show up at the bottom of the Matrix:

Sum of Revenue= CALCULATE ( SUM( 'table'[revenue] ) , FILTER( 'table' , 'Table2'[ID] = 'table'[ID] ))

3. Create a rank column of these values:

Rank = RANKX( ALL( 'Table2' , 'Table2'[Sum of Revenue] , , DESC )

Then connect the 'Table2'[ID] column to your original data (the "one" side will be the new table), replace the columns in the Matrix visual with the new 'Table2'[ID], and Sort by Column on the Rank you just created.

EDIT: I realized that the Sort by Column feature won't let you sort based on the Rank, due to the FILTER being applied to get it. So as a workaround, you could concatenate the Rank and ID columns and use it as the column heading in your Matrix:

RankID = 'Table2'[Rank] & ". " & 'Table2'[ID]

@barlevitzky Are the columns being created from a single data source? i.e. 407, 537, 552, etc. are all loaded into the matrix through one data source?

@wwhittenton

I got his point:

• He is using Sales Qty in Columns field in the actual Matrix and would like to see Qty's in a Desc order not sure if it's actually possible.

@Abduvali, yes. these numbers are coming from "ID" column. 

we can relate that to store id and revenue per store. So i want to see first the store with the highest revenue. 

Abduvali
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi @barlevitzky,

Use sorting on the column in the actual table:

Capture29.PNG

Regards

Abduvali

Hi, @Abduvali

I am using Matrix and not a Table.

Sorry that I wasn't clear about it. 

My screenshot is on Matrix as well.

@Abduvali

1. The total in your sales column is higher, so sales column should be the left column. 

2. I don't know what is the difference between our matrixes, but when I point with the mouse on the column title I don't have sort option. only on the date column i have it. 

@barlevitzky

You can download this file from my library:

Here is the link Power BI User Group Dublin:

Regards

Abduvali

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.