cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Sort by column not working

Hi, 

I created a sort column for my dataset and sort the data with that column. However, my date axis in my visual is still not sorted. Some help please? Thank you. 

I will also enclose my PBIX file here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcvemjaq1166wsc/Price%20Analyser%20Date%20request%20help%20%28sort%20Colum...

Sort Column.png

erroreous x axis.png

5 REPLIES 5
Super User IV
Super User IV

I downloaded your file and got it working from your existing Sort column.  In Data View, highlight/select the Month & Year column, then on the ribbon choose Sort By Column and choose the Sort column.  Then, if needed, hit the ellipsis on the visual and choose to sort it by Month & Year and Ascending.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Hi Pat! 

I did what you instructed and I still see the following. Any idea where else went wrong? 

Sort Attempt.png

Still cannot .png

Hi @fanhui3 

I downloaded your sample pbix file and got the following solution:

1.  Select your column Sort and change the data type to whole number.
  2. In data view select your column Month & Year > tab Column tools > Sort by column > choose Sort.

The sort order of the chart axis changes immediatly.

With kind regards from the town where the legend of the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin' is at home
FrankAT (Proud to be a Datanaut)

HI @FrankAT 

At this point, I am starting to think there are problem with my software instead of the solutions. 

Sorted by sort.png

Sort Attempt.png

Still cannot .png

Oh yea, I would like to add. The problem only persist in scattered graph. Weird. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

Wave Release 2

Check out the updates in Power BI.

Overview of Power BI 2020 release wave 2!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors