Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sort by column not working

Hi all, I have this issue with Power BI where the Sort By Column functionality does not work on one of of my PBI reports.

I have two pbi files. one is pulling from excel data source and the other is from sharepoint lists.

the reports are 100% identical.

the table i am using looks like this

sort.JPG

take note that the sharepoint data source does not have the indentations on the "Capability" column.

On my excel pbi file I am able to sort capability by column sort

error show.JPG

on my sharepoint list pbi file it gives me this error:

error.JPG

How is it possible that Power BI allows me to sort by column on the column sort on one report but doesnt allow me on another?

The output of my excel pbi report gives the correct output.

what is causing this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

My guess is you have trailing or leading spaces in your capability column from sharepoint. This is creating different capabilities and hence changing the cardinality. Try trimming spaces in power query while loading. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

My guess is you have trailing or leading spaces in your capability column from sharepoint. This is creating different capabilities and hence changing the cardinality. Try trimming spaces in power query while loading. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.