Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sort by column not available

Hi,

I have 2 columns for month, one displays the month name and the other the month number. This is to allow me to sort the month names correctly (e.g. Jan, Feb,.....Dec) by sorting the month name column by the month number column.

Usually this is done by using the "sort by column" tool but it seems to not be avaialble for any of my columns, the option is greyed out in PBI. I also can't create any new columns either.

I should note that my data comes directly from Alteryx via the Power BI service and appears under "my workspace", which I assume is the reason why it doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas how I can sort these months? 

Thank you!

afk

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sounds like you are in the Service and not the Desktop? Perhaps try putting your month number in the visual and selecting the ellipses and sorting by it?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am actually using the Desktop version. I've tried that method before, but in the sort by option under the elipse, it doesnt seem to show the trading month number column.

I retrieve my data from the "Power BI Datasets" option under "Get Data".

afk

Hi,

Is anyone able to help with this? The option to sort by column is not available for me and my months are being sorted alphabetically, which is incorrect.

Thank you!

afk

Hi @bo_afk ,

If you mean live connection to power bi service, current you can't do customize with data model fields on this mode.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.