Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sort by column is missing from the Modeling tab

Hi everyone!  I'm VERY new to Power bi.  I'm trying to get my calendar months to sort in sequential order on a visual, but when I go to the 'Modeling' , sort by column isn't an option.  I have both a month 'text' field and a numeric month field.  Is there a way to get the months in the correct order without using the modeling funtcion?  

Thanks so much! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could reference the video to have a try.

Sort month name chronologically in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It is on the Measure Tools or Column Tools tab now

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

In Data View, click on the column you want to sort and then click on the Column Tools header.  The Sort By option is there since they updated the ribbon.

If this works for you, please mark it as solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pat, Thanks for helping a newbie like me! I went into data, selected my the column I want to sort on, went to Column Tools and then Sort by column and selected the colum again.  The column start at 1, but when I go the bottom it ends with 10 instead of 12.  I check each numeric number to ensure I have 1 through 12 and the text months sync up.  When I go back to my visual, the months are in the following order Jan, May, Feb, Mar, Apr, Dec, Jul, Jun, Aug, Nov, Oct & Sep.  I'm so confused.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!!! 

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could reference the video to have a try.

Sort month name chronologically in Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks so much!  That worked, I was sorted the wrong column.  I feel so dumb! 

Since I have number month column, a text column and a fiscal year column, is there any way to have it sort by numeric month and fiscal year? i.e. Dec 2017, Jan 2018, Feb 2018, ......................Jan 2019, Feb 2019.....

Thank you!

Stephanie 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.