Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ravindrajal
Frequent Visitor

Sort by column based on another column for SSAS Tabular Source

Hi,

I want to sort the month name based on month number using SSAS tabular source in power bi. I can see that sort by option in modeling tab is disabled. Is there any other way to sort the column or am i missing any thing

9 REPLIES 9
AmaruAnn
Regular Visitor

Hi guys,

I did sort by other column in SSAS in Date Table (Properties - [MonthName] sort by [MonthOfYear] ) and it also works in Power BI.

The Key is having data ready in SSAS model and no customization in Power BI so users can't change data onlz visualize them. 😉

Can I know how do we sort it by column in SSAS. I have the same issue. Thank you

Hi all, I'm experiencing a similar problem, but with a matrix visual. I have years in columns, but I want to show the most recent year first. I've tried sorting the data in the tabular model designer, but it's having no effect on the data in the visual.

Is there a way to manage this?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ravindrajal,

If you use import mode, it is possible to sort by column based on another column.

If you use live mode, it is impossible to use this feature.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi, 

Is there any method to implement it in SSAS Live Connection

Hi I did it by sorting the columns in ssas data model and then used the columns in power bi. There is no direct sorting available in power bi for ssas data models

Hi ,

I face similar isu, and it seems it doesn't work when displaying SSAS data in chart format. I can't sort the data by another column which is not choosed in axis field. The column that I want to sort is a date string, and there is a date key column.

really appreciate any thought to solve this.

Cheers,

octoni

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder why they don't allow it. It's a sort order we are enforcing on the viz or report. It's not going to harm the underlying schema. I feel with these many restrictions when using SSAS makes people think that it is not self-service BI any more. Really like to know what is the rationale behind MS diableing most of the features in PBI with SSAS. ex. no data or data model view, no formatting, no calculated tables. MS are you listening ???

*checks watch* No, they are not listening

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.