Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sort by column affects filter context

Hi all,

We bumbed into a following issue few weeks back: when you use column that has mofied sort order both the original column and the sorting column affects the filter context.

Simple example to illustrate:

I'm calculating the number of rows (days) in Calendar-table by month. When 'Calendar'[Month] is not sorted, #All calendar rows -measure gives the expected result (all rows in a table). But when 'Calendar'[Month] is sorted by 'Calendar'[MonthNumber] both columns affect the filter context.

Therefore when [Month] -column is sorted I need to use #All calendar rows_monthnumber -measure to get all the rows in the table.

Measures:

#Calendar rows = COUNTROWS('Calendar')

#All calendar rows = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Calendar'), ALL('Calendar'[Month]))

#All calendar rows_monthnumber = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('Calendar'), ALL('Calendar'[Month], 'Calendar'[Month Number]))

When [Month] is not sorted:

Sorted by month number.PNG

When [month] is sorted by [MonthNumber]:

Sorted by month number2.PNG

I'm not sure to treat this as a bug or a feature. I haven't seen any documentation about this kind of behaviour and it came across as a surprise. Any thoughts on this?

4 REPLIES 4
Rfranca
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

hi, @Anonymous

look well
With the FEB / 2018 version some strange behavior appeared.
I believe Microsoft should send a fix for this the other items.

Best Regards,
Rfranca

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This issue was present already for earlier versions of PBI Desktop.

Hi BI for the people

Is this still happening for you? Have you found another way around it?

I think I am getting the same thing, when I add a sort column then my stacked area chart which calculates a % of sales for a particular category only uses the first item in the sort when I calculate sales/allselected(sales) which is resulting in stacked area chart with only the first selected item at 100%.

Any ideas would be great!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.