Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bo_afk
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sort by another column from a different table

Hi,

Is it possible to sort the categoriees in a visual by another column from a different table?

I know it's possible to sort by another column from the same table, but I have a different table to determine the order. I intend to us this other table as a lookup table as the order can occasionally change. The relationship is one to many.

The lookup table contains one value and its associated number in the order list. The main table contains multiple values from the lookup table.

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks!

afk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @bo_afk ,

>>Is it possible to sort the categoriees in a visual by another column from a different table?

If we want to sort it from Data view using the Sort by Column, based on my test, we can't do it since now.

Snipaste_2019-04-10_13-56-25.png

As a workaround, we can set it in some visual which provides ToolTips feature, please refer to this similar problem: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-sort-a-column-by-other-column-which-is-not-used-in-t...

Best Regards,

Teige

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @bo_afk ,

>>Is it possible to sort the categoriees in a visual by another column from a different table?

If we want to sort it from Data view using the Sort by Column, based on my test, we can't do it since now.

Snipaste_2019-04-10_13-56-25.png

As a workaround, we can set it in some visual which provides ToolTips feature, please refer to this similar problem: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/how-to-sort-a-column-by-other-column-which-is-not-used-in-t...

Best Regards,

Teige

Thanks for your reply @TeigeGao 

I did actually see this in another post and it's solved the issue as a workaround for now Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.