cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsnadams Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sort by another column error : "We cannot sort the "foo" column by "bar"

I keep hitting this issue trying to sort by another column, where I have many incidents that occur in a single day, my goal is to sort the table first by calendar day, then by the incidents, in the order of most incients counts to least incident counts;

Sample Data;

DateIncidentsIncidentCount
11/8/2016IncidentA5
11/8/2016IncidentB50
11/8/2016IncidentC3
11/7/2016IncidentD100
11/7/2016IncidentE5
11/7/2016IncidentF70

This is the output I would like:

DateIncidentsIncidentCount
11/8/2016IncidentB50
11/8/2016IncidentA5
11/8/2016IncidentC3
11/7/2016IncidentD100
11/7/2016IncidentF70
11/7/2016IncidentE5

But I keep getting this error when I sort by another column:

"Sort by Another Column Error"  "We cannot sort the "foo" column by "bar".  You can't have more that one value in "foo" for the same value in "bar".  Choose a different column for sorting or update the data in "bar".

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Sort by another column error : "We cannot sort the "foo" column by "bar&quot

You can use the matrix visualization to see the sorting by the calendar day and Incident Count.

Alternatively, You can also create a third calculated column to combine the two columns using CONCATENATE and do the sorting by that column.

sortingcolumn.PNG

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
jsnadams Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Sort by another column error : "We cannot sort the "foo" column by "bar&

Thanks you for your response, but that is what I tried to do, but notice the Date column gets re-sorted, where I need to see most current date at the top, then I need to see IncidentCount sorted, my example I used Excel to do this (first sort one column, then sort a 2nd column), so I am hoping there is a way to also do this in Power BI?

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Sort by another column error : "We cannot sort the "foo" column by "bar&

Hi @jsnadams,

Currently, power bi visuals not support multiple columns sort, since others has already post this request, you can vote at below link:

Add a multiple columns sort featue

Regards

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For learning resources/Release notes, please visit: | |