Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shtefanvalery
Frequent Visitor

Sort by another column (by duplicate values)

Hello, community. 

There is a problem: for example, i've got a Table with columns: Name, JobT, Department, Salary. I need to sort it in Mullti-row card by Salary, but don't show that values there. According to salary - many people have the same salary, so i can't do "Sort by column"-function. I think that there is only one solution: create autonum row (like autosort), which chooses the lowest salary and put in new column K, than K+1 and etc. (I use sharepoint userlist as dataset, so i need that new income person auto appears in my table and the formula automatically works for new person, or for salary changes)

Am i right? How can i do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I found somewhere, that i cannot do "sort by column" for duplicate values, so i thought that it was my problem. But, i found a solution.

I had an error "This column can't be sorted by a column that is already sorted, directly or indirectly, by this column". And it means, that you can't sort by a calculated column which DAX expression depends on the column you want to sort. I duplicated a column and everything works fine. It's a bit confusing..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shtefanvalery,

You still can do "Sort by column" when salary has duplicates. Do you have any other requirements?Sort by another column (by duplicate values) .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I found somewhere, that i cannot do "sort by column" for duplicate values, so i thought that it was my problem. But, i found a solution.

I had an error "This column can't be sorted by a column that is already sorted, directly or indirectly, by this column". And it means, that you can't sort by a calculated column which DAX expression depends on the column you want to sort. I duplicated a column and everything works fine. It's a bit confusing..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.