Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shtefanvalery
Frequent Visitor

Sort by another column (by duplicate values)

Hello, community. 

There is a problem: for example, i've got a Table with columns: Name, JobT, Department, Salary. I need to sort it in Mullti-row card by Salary, but don't show that values there. According to salary - many people have the same salary, so i can't do "Sort by column"-function. I think that there is only one solution: create autonum row (like autosort), which chooses the lowest salary and put in new column K, than K+1 and etc. (I use sharepoint userlist as dataset, so i need that new income person auto appears in my table and the formula automatically works for new person, or for salary changes)

Am i right? How can i do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I found somewhere, that i cannot do "sort by column" for duplicate values, so i thought that it was my problem. But, i found a solution.

I had an error "This column can't be sorted by a column that is already sorted, directly or indirectly, by this column". And it means, that you can't sort by a calculated column which DAX expression depends on the column you want to sort. I duplicated a column and everything works fine. It's a bit confusing..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @shtefanvalery,

You still can do "Sort by column" when salary has duplicates. Do you have any other requirements?Sort by another column (by duplicate values) .jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I found somewhere, that i cannot do "sort by column" for duplicate values, so i thought that it was my problem. But, i found a solution.

I had an error "This column can't be sorted by a column that is already sorted, directly or indirectly, by this column". And it means, that you can't sort by a calculated column which DAX expression depends on the column you want to sort. I duplicated a column and everything works fine. It's a bit confusing..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.