Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sort a set of gauge dials in ASC/DESC order dynamically when dates are selected by slicer?

I have a set of dials that display certain values taken from various locations.

Now with the relative date slicer on the same page , the selection of dates will provide different values from each location/dials.

For example : As a sample , I have set 6 dials taken from 6 locations (A to F). I have made a sample database where records starts from 1st Jan 2021 to current day (22nd Feb 2021) which has records of values (imagine value to be something like sales % of mobile phones sold at these locations). The below selection is for This month. 

Akshay_Kinge_0-1614012855596.png

Now as you can see , the dials from all 6 locations are different. My task is to re-arrange/sort them in ASC order. So , my expected output for the same "This Month" selection should be something like this :

Akshay_Kinge_1-1614013499646.png

Order is now : F,C,A,D,E,B as 12.67<12.68<14.97<17.83<18.02<31.00.
Likewise , If I select for Last 2 weeks , I expect the dials to be arranged this way :

Akshay_Kinge_2-1614013813115.png

So, ergo my question is : How to Sort a set of gauge dials in ASC/DESC order dynamically when dates are selected by slicer?

I have been stuck at this for week and a half.

APPROACH I HAVE TAKEN :
I had some idea of creating a diff table with 2 cols : Location and Values
Where Location column contains all the 6 locations and the Values simply depict the values corresponding to dial and the dial selection. Meaning while the selection is on "This Month", my Table should be like this :

Akshay_Kinge_0-1614014202067.png

or like this if Last 2 Weeks are selected:

Akshay_Kinge_1-1614014265600.png

But I later learned that columns DO NOT CHANGE DYNAMICALLY, they are static !

Akshay_Kinge_2-1614014613743.png

The data stored here under the Values column are without the effect of the relative date slicer.

If it weren't for this , I would have simply made an index column that will index the data under Value in ASC order. Rest will be simply assigning the values from the lowest vlaue (index 1) to 1st dial to the highest vlaue (index 6) to 6th/last dial.

Any help will be greatly appreciated . Thnx!

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

On the face of it this seesm doable but my head hurts trying to imagine the data. Can you please supply some sample data and explain how you want to calculate your results.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey , thanks for the reply. I have re-edited my question for an easier explanation

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.