Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laurenguthrie

Sort Correctly By Date in Bar Chart

I am working on a dashboard for my company, and I am trying to show sales by month for our last fiscal year. Our fiscal year runs from October to September. Thus, I want the first column to be October and the last to be September. I have the full date in my data, but, regardless of the year, it views January first.

Power BI Example.PNGdata.PNGAs well as the orginial "Bill Date" column, I have added month and year columns, but it doesn't change anything. I have seen other posts on these forums and have tried to follow them, but nothing has seemed to work. I've tried the Sort by Column, but that doesn't do anything.

This program really should be able to recognize dates in order.  

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Try these steps:

- Add Fiscal Month column to your Date data i.e., Fiscal Month starts 1 for October, 2 for November ...; 

Note: I prefer this at SQL or Cube level, as one point of contact.

- In PBI Deskptop, Go into Data view, Select the Month column used in your chart (i.e., October, November) then  click Modeling tab, Sort by column change to Fiscal Month (new column). 

- Check your chart. (sometimes you may need to readd the column to the chart)

Thanks

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
sevenhills
Super User
Super User

Try these steps:

- Add Fiscal Month column to your Date data i.e., Fiscal Month starts 1 for October, 2 for November ...; 

Note: I prefer this at SQL or Cube level, as one point of contact.

- In PBI Deskptop, Go into Data view, Select the Month column used in your chart (i.e., October, November) then  click Modeling tab, Sort by column change to Fiscal Month (new column). 

- Check your chart. (sometimes you may need to readd the column to the chart)

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.