Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sort Column data in reverse order in Matrix visual

Hello,

I have the Sales Date in Column section in Matrix visual. I would like to display the recent year to the left (2019, 2018, 2018,...). The dates are in one column and drill-down to Quarter and Month. Please see the attached picture for current result.

column.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The following solution worked for me to display the dates in descending order in a matrix:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/59657205/how-to-sort-column-dates-in-descending-order-of-matrix-...

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

For your requirement, you could use Sort by column in Power BI Desktop to get it.

https://radacad.com/sort-by-column-in-power-bi

and for your case, "he dates are in one column and drill-down to Quarter and Month", do you mean that you only darg the date filed in "Columns" as below:

1.JPG

If so, you need to adjust it. you need to add Year, Quarter and Month column separately in edit queries,

and create a reverse order index for year column.

then drag them to "Columns" as below:

2.JPG

Now selected Year filed then sort by this reverse order index column.

here is similar post, but it doesn't need drill-down, you could refer to it:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Matrix-Column-Head-Order/td-p/71572

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lili6-msft Thank you for your response. Yes, I have the 'SalesDate' field only in Columns section. Could you please provide me the example of creating reverse order index column of a column?

Thanks!

hi, @Anonymous 

You could try these steps:

Step1:

Add a year column in edit queries for [SalesDate],(You could add quarter, Month, and Day column in there too)

2.JPG

Step2:

Then create a reverse order index column for Year column, the simplest way is to create a custom as blow:

-[Year]

3.JPG

4.JPG

Step3:

Then create a matrix use these field instead of [SalesDate] as below:

5.JPG

Step5:

Now selected [Year] filed then click Modeling-Sort->Sort by column->choose [Index]

6.JPG

Result:

7.JPG

and here is sample pbix file, please try it.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.