Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

walkra
Helper III
Helper III

Sometimes the infinite symbol

Hi, How are you?.

In a division the result is the correct but at a given moment, the infinity symbol appears. If you observe in the image when that error begins, there is no difference between the previous records with those that start with infinity (21566,70 = 491,60, but, the next: 21527,74 = Infinity symbol).
The fields are of decimal number format. The numerator field is "ValorLibreUtilizacion". The value of the denominator is 43.87, which is calculated in a measure: UltimoValorDolar = CALCULATE (sum ('TYPE_CHANGE (2)' [Change Type]) * (- 1))
Have you ever observed something so strange?.

Thank you, very much. 

Untitledw.pngUntitledq.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Writing test formulas to debug issues is a key concept in DAX that you should adopt widely.

Tips to debug DAX

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

regardless, it would appear that your measure resolves to zero at the lines that return infinity.    Edit the column and just add the measure to check.  you could use DIVIDE(<numerator>,<denominator>) instead to handle the error.  Better still, don't use a column at all, but write a measure

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/calculated-columns-vs-measures-dax/

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

I have left only the measure of the denominator in the column and, in the record where the infinity symbol appeared, it appears empty !! (picture attached) You were right !, there is a problem with the measure "UltimoValorDolar" (UltimoValorDolar = CALCULATE ( sum ('Tipo_Cambio (2)' [TipoCambio]) * (- 1))) (picture attached of Tipo_Cambio (2)).
I have created a new measure:
LibreUtilizEnUSD = CALCULATE (sum ('STOCK_VALORADO (2)' [ValorLibreUtilizacion])) / [UltimoValorDolar]
  and, obviously, the original error also happens.
What might affect the "UltimoValorDolar"?... (Instead of SUM (of this measure) can some other function be used?)

Thank you very much for your help (I'm sorry my English).

Untitled434.pngUntitledds.png

Writing test formulas to debug issues is a key concept in DAX that you should adopt widely.

Tips to debug DAX

Matt,  Good morning. How are you?. 

During this weekend I could not to see your suggestion. Today I will see it, and then, I will answer you by myself I need your help again. Thank You Very Much!!

Matt, How are you?.

In the end I created another query without grouping it as I had done with the one that brings the last type of change (in this query I bring the exchange rate that has index 0 (zero)). I could not solve the error (unfortunately I could not keep wasting time although later I will try to find the solution).

Matt Thank you very much for the link to do a step by step of a calculated measure / field !.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.