Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

J_o_n_a_s
Helper I
Helper I

Something more practical than an IF Statement

Hi everyone, 

So i need to come up with a solution for when an employee changes department. The work hours of this employee from a certain date onwards have to be saved under the new department without affecting previous work hours. 

As a solution to this I came up with the idea of creating a new employee name (Jonas2) from the date that this employee changes department. In that case Jonas2 will be saved under department B and all his work hours will be saved under there too (while the old work hours of Jonas will remain under department A) . So this is what I came up with:

Jonas 2.PNG

Is there a smoother way of doing this please, since this will get quite complicated once it needs to be done for say 10 employees. 

Thanks for your help

Jonas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @J_o_n_a_s ,

If different employees change department on different dates, I think it is necessary to compare date for each employee but you can try to optimize the formula, for example, using switch() function, using variables, like this:

Column =
VAR date1 =
    DATE ( 2020, 12, 31 )
VAR date2 =
    DATE ( 2020, 5, 8 )
VAR new = [Employee] & 2
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        [Employee],
        "Jonas", IF ( [Date] > date1, new, [Employee] ),
        "A",
            IF ( [Date] > date2, new & 2, [Employee] )
    )

em.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @J_o_n_a_s ,

You need not to write if statements for each employees, just distinguish it by [Date], create column like this:

Column =
IF ( 'Table'[Date] > DATE ( 2020, 12, 31 ), [Employee] & "2", [Employee] )

employee.png

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

But what if different employees change department on different dates?

Hi @J_o_n_a_s ,

If different employees change department on different dates, I think it is necessary to compare date for each employee but you can try to optimize the formula, for example, using switch() function, using variables, like this:

Column =
VAR date1 =
    DATE ( 2020, 12, 31 )
VAR date2 =
    DATE ( 2020, 5, 8 )
VAR new = [Employee] & 2
RETURN
    SWITCH (
        [Employee],
        "Jonas", IF ( [Date] > date1, new, [Employee] ),
        "A",
            IF ( [Date] > date2, new & 2, [Employee] )
    )

em.png

Best Regards,

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@J_o_n_a_s 

Tyring to understand the final objective .Should you create the data in a column only? What do you want to achieve as report , can you please share that as a snapshot?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Yeah preferably in a column.

Basically the same result as what I got but in a more practical way for when more employees change department on different dates. I need to do this for past data as well so there will be several department changes. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.