Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerboss
Frequent Visitor

Someone To Chat With For A Few Minutes

So I have a lot of data to work with and I'm trying to figure out if I should do the gargantuan task of creating new tables in SQL using joins and merges, or if I should just write a lot of convoluted DAX formulas to make these tables work. 

I've already done a ton of calculated columns and measures which have worked good so far, but now I'm dealing with 3-4 different tables that are related in some way, but not related enough for me to do calculated columns, and yet I need them to communicate with each other and get data. 

Is there someone I could chat with and pick their brain on best recommendation? What do you guys usually do? Would it cost a lot? Do you talk to friends for advice?

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get this book from Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari.

Do the modeling in SQL to end up with a star schema of 1 fact table and multiple dimension tables.

Complex DAX to make up for an unoptimized model will ALWAYS perform slower.

Remember, 95% of data models are star schemas.  The other 5% just don't realize it yet.

So in other words, even though we're pulling all of the tables(100's of thousands of rows) from our vendor, we should manipulate it first on the SQL level? And then create our measures and stuff? 

It's been very convoluted for me to try to make this data work when it's in such a disorganized fashion. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.