Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Some visuals (gauge, bar) disregard measure format strings, when our calculation groups has one

The problem is that when you give one of your items in your calculation group a format strings, your format strings for other items like report measures, are disregarded in some visuals (Bar, gauge), but not others (card, table).

Steps to reproduce:

Create a document with a measure, and set that measure to be a percentage.
Add a gauge visual, and put your percentage in the visual, and confirm that it is formatted like a percentage.

Open Tabular Editor, create a calculation group.

Add a new calculation item to the calculation group, and give it a format string, like "0.00%;-0.00%;0.00%", the one that PowerBI uses for percentages.

Apply your changes to the data model.

You will now see that the gauge visual no longer displays your percentage as a percentage.

Percentage bug with calc groupsPercentage bug with calc groups

And here are the files for reference, one without a calculation group with a format string, and one with a calculation group with a format string:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VIlCBsKTgzo4W5xdVVhnLIRL6WVVUZJL?usp=sharing

It basically means that assigning format strings to calculation groups is currenty unusable, unless you have no other bar charts and gauges in your report that display measures as percentages.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jaap_olsthoorn 

This issue has been submitted internally.   Internal ICM ID: 283002769.   Please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ryan25r9
Helper I
Helper I

Is this fixed yet? This issue has existed for over 2 years...

Yes and no.

In the april release, I think they fixed the fact that percentages weren't showing as percentages. However, what is not fixed, is that adding a format string to a calculation groups has a big impact in your formatting options in powerBI desktop. I just tested it, and it's a real mess. When I havea calculation group with a format string, I can no longer edit the format string of measures from within powerBI desktop. It just disregards any changes I make there. 

So in short, I still don't think we can use format strings in calculation groups. It has way too much impact outside it's scope.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks Charlotte! 

v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @jaap_olsthoorn 

This issue has been submitted internally.   Internal ICM ID: 283002769.   Please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.