Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

j8joe

Some rows not pulling through to Power BI Desktop which are visible in Query editor

I'm so stuck on why I am missing some data from an ODBC connection to a SQL Server that it has come the time I need to ask for help.

I have some filtered options which I have done in the query editior as the table I am pulling from the database has millions of rows and I only want to see records which contain a certain keyword and that are within a certain date.

The issue I am seeing is that once I've finished with my query, I then apply the changes and take a look at the data in Power BI desktop. However, certain records seem to be missing which I can search for in the query editor and see but I cannot locate in Power BI desktop for data which has imported.

I know this is quite general a query, but I'm hoping for pointers if anyone else has experienced this before. I have around 6 tables coming from the same database and I'm only experiencing the issue with 1 table, it seems to only pull around 30,000 records regardless of what I do.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @j8joe,

Does this problem exist when connecting to SQL Server with SQL Server data connector rather than ODBC?

How did you apply filters in Query Editor and in report view? What type of records were missing? Could you illustrate with some examples?

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

OK, couple questions. First, when you are searching in Query Editor, are you on the last step of the query? Second, are all of the queries coming from the same ODBC source and are any of the other queries bringing back more than 30,000 rows? Third, is there a reason you are using ODBC versus just straight SQL Server connection?

A couple other things you can do:

You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hey Greg,

Thanks for responding.

Yes, when I am searching in the query editor I am on the last step of the query.

I have other queries running to the same source and yes some tables are returning over 50,000 rows.

The reason I am having to use ODBC is because it's a club based CRM system and it's the only method they give me for direct access to a realtime replica of the database.

By way of an update, the records I have been expecting have finally come through after several refreshes of the data in Power BI desktop.

I thought this had somehow resolved itself, but it appears not. I'm still missing a significant amount of data when it ends up in Power BI Desktop.

I am going to do some screenshots of the data in the query editior and then in Power BI so everyone can see the difference. I really don't understand why this table isn't pulling through the latest data when other tables with more rows are.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.