Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DeBIe
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Some data is missing after update of existing dashboard

Hi all, hope you all are doing fine.

I'm facing a weird issue and I can't find the solution/explanation for it. I have a dashboard/report in a workspace that our customer is using. Almost weekly I add new functionalities and update their dashboard. Today I want to update their dashboard again, but I am missing some data and I have no idea why (the data which is missing are the new measures that I have made). I also have published the same report under a different name to the same workspace and then it works. I am really clueless about what is going on here.

I don't want to remove the report which I have always been updating and republishing, because then I would need to reconfigure RLS and share a new link with them to access the dashboard.

Anybody any ideas what I could try?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Pragati11 

Always as a admin.

Anyways, it works again! I reconfigured and applied the gateway and then republished the dashboard. However the settings were exactly the same, but it did the trick. I have no clue on anything else that I did differently today then yesterday. Thank you for your time and help. I guess this issue should be related to a solution as 'have you tried turning it on and off again' lol.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
DeBIe
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Ok I have been able to resolve the issue via a workaround.

After the pbi-service gateway refreshes my data, it seems that this measure doesn't show data anymore:

Expensive Bills = Calculate Total Bills, IsExpensiveBill = True.

I changed my calculated column IsExpensiveBill to 1(true) and 0(false). 

My formula now looks like Expensive Bills = Calculate Total Bills, IsExpensiveBill = 1

This seemed to do the trick.

I still wonder why my old formula works in powerBI desktop AND in powerBI Service, but only goes missing after the automatic refresh via gateway.

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@DeBIe 

I Think it happened with me once. My mistake was I made changes and saved the report with different name. 

I uploaded old file and didnt see any changes, but when uploaded the different version it was appearing. I figured out that after almost 5 days that the changes were not made in the current file! Just sharing my experience.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @DeBIe ,

Are there any existing filters on the report which is not showing this data?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hi @Pragati11 

No there is not. I also reset all filters to default. Still doesn't work. The weird thing is that the data will show if I publish it as a new report.

Hi @DeBIe ,

This doesn't ring a bell in my mind. Can you share some screenshots for this?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @Pragati11 

Like this?

T.png

Hi @DeBIe ,

Can you check the conditional formatting rules for the middle column on the report on the left?

Are they exactly same to the one on the report on the Right?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @Pragati11,

It is exactly the same report. Only difference is that it will only work when I publish the dashboard under a new name. The data will be empty when I publish it under the existing name. 

Hi @DeBIe ,

Sounds really strange to me now. in the past I have experineced everything works fine while publishing the report with the same name.

I will wait if someone else can guide you here as I can't think of anything else apart from if there are any filters on the existing published report with the same name. 

Does the published dashboard in use by multiple customers in parallel?

Are they accessing the dashboard on same time? Because multiple users can use different filters on the dashboard which accessing it. 

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @Pragati11 ,

I am also really confused on this matter. 

The dashboard is being used by multiple customers, but this is the first customer I have tried to update the dashboard for. This specific customer has like 10 active people which have read-rights to the dashboard. RLS is enabled. 9 users have All-Rights and 1 user has a department filter. 

I understand that users can use multiple filters on the dashboard, but I have not let them know yet that there is an update. I always try it myself first and also one of my own colleagues. For both of us it doesn't work (and we made sure we got no filters active and we reset it to default as well). In the meantime I published an older version of the dashboard just so they won't notice the missing data in new features.

Hi @DeBIe ,

When you publish this report online, are you viewing this report as admin (basically having access to everything) or are you viewing it using some RLS credentials?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Hi @Pragati11 

Always as a admin.

Anyways, it works again! I reconfigured and applied the gateway and then republished the dashboard. However the settings were exactly the same, but it did the trick. I have no clue on anything else that I did differently today then yesterday. Thank you for your time and help. I guess this issue should be related to a solution as 'have you tried turning it on and off again' lol.

Hi @DeBIe ,

I am glad that you resolved the issue.

But good to see sometimes Power BI challenges you and resolves an issue with a work-around.

Go forward and mark your work-around as a solution for sure. This will surely help others on the forum with similar situations.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 

What I have realized is that the problem is somewhere in the automatic refresh/my gateway. Because I have tested this scenario:

PBI Desktop -> Publish to workspace -> no gateway -> works.

PBI Desktop -> Publish to workspace -> Gateway enabled -> data is missing.

As soon as I enable the automatic refresh, the data will be missing. I have also tried the credentials and rights which are all set correctly. I have also tried an administrator account which doesn't work.

This is so confusing haha.

Unfortunately, I had to update again because of a new functionality. I did it for several customers and I got the same problem again. I have tried to update the gateway and set it up again, but this time it didn't work. I'll have to go troubleshoot again. If I got it working again or know the problem, I will let you know.

I still think it has something to do with RLS, but the data is also missing with viewing rights for the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.