Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbi-oe
Frequent Visitor

Some basic questions...

Some pretty basic questions;

1 - can PowerBI be used as complete stand-alone on premise solution without using any Cloud services ? 

2 - if used completely on premise, will be any downsides or limitations?

3 - if used on premise, can reports be published to the web on a local intranet, for example ?

4 - performance of the REST api: I've not seen any data on performance of transferring large volumes of data into PowerBI datasets using the REST API - are there any metrics out there?

5 - If using the REST API for adding rows to a table, is there any guidance for what provided best performance, e.g. 1 row at a time, 100/250/500/all rows at a time ?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@powerbi-oe

No. Power BI can't be used as a completely stand-alone on premise solution. Even you use SSRS 2016 report server to integrate Power BI, you still need to interact with the AAD. See: Power BI Report Server Integration (Configuration Manager). So when you get offline completely, you can only access the .pbix created in Power BI Desktop.

For the REST API, there's no "best practice" guide for performance. Just pay attention to: Power BI REST API limitations

Regards,

Thanks Simon.

If I rephrase my question better - can your data be kept on premise and and not moved to the cloud? So for example, can the REST api be used to populate datasets locally, although authentication etc. may need to happen on-line?

Thank again.

Anyone can answer my questions? Can the Rest API be used with Power BI desktop, to push data into a dataset?

Thanks

as far as i know,no there is no way to push datasets in PowerBI desktop, but you can always refresh or use  Direct query, 

I think you may get more answers if you say exactly what you want to do.

bottom line, if you want something like PowerBI on premise you have to wait for SQL server Vnext

cheers

Thanks @mim

We have an ERP solution for which I'm investigating the possibility on integrating with power bi.

I think some of our customers may be resistant to putting their data into the cloud based power bi, so I'm interested in the capabilities of the desktop version.

As our database is large and complicated, we prefer not to use odbc access, but prefer exposing data in a more structured way.

Hope that provides some useful background.

you can always build the data mode in PowerBI desktop, and connect to your ERP using the rest API, but it is not real time, you need to refresh

powerbi-oe
Frequent Visitor

Anyone with any answers/advice? Many thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.