Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Snowflake: support GEOGRAPHY columns

Power BI Version: 2.91.884.0 64-bit (March 2021)

When I use the inbuilt Snowflake connector, I get an error when I connect to any table that contains a column of type GEOGRAPHY:

andban_0-1617978017148.png

It can be worked around by using Snowflake views, but that's not ideal.

Could the connector be updated to ignore GEOGRAPHY columns? (other solutions welcome)

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, I think you could Edit the query in a Navigator window, which opens Query Editor so you can filter and refine the set of data you want to use, and then load that refined set of data into Power BI Desktop.

v-yuaj-msft_0-1618293776920.png

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Won't work - the error occurs in the Query Editor as soon as the table is referenced. The Test_Table step in this example:

let
  Source = Snowflake.Databases(<URL>, <Warehouse>, [CreateNavigationProperties=null,   ConnectionTimeout=null, CommandTimeout=null]),
  Test_Database = Source{[Name=<Database>,Kind="Database"]}[Data],
  Schema = Test_Database{[Name=<Schema Name>,Kind="Schema"]}[Data],
  Test_Table = ADM_Schema{[Name=<Table Name>,Kind="Table"]}[Data]

in
  Test_Table

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for your reply. Have you tried to use the ODBC connector to get data from snowflake?

Best Regards,

Yuna

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, same issue with the ODBC driver

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thanks for your reply. Do you install the Snowflake ODBC driver on computers that use the Snowflake connector, using the architecture that matches the installation of Power BI Desktop? 

Just follow the following link and download the appropriate Snowflake ODBC driver.

I find a similar documention. Please refer to it if it can help you a little.

ODBC Driver API Support — Snowflake Documentation

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support to get further help.

Best Regards,

Yuna

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , there is blog around it, see if that can help

https://adatis.co.uk/displaying-vector-data-on-maps-in-power-bi/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors