Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brownrice
Helper III
Helper III

Snowflake schema vs Power BI Hierarchies

I am aware that a star schema is the optimal approach for modelling data within Power BI however I have seen many videos where people for example instead create snowflake schemas with tables to model the hierarchy such as:

Category table -> Sub category table -> Product table -> 

which finally links to your fact table. So at this point you have 4 tables linked via keys (including the fact table).

Alternatively I have also seen it where the user instead creates a single product table containing columns for category, sub category and product which is then subsequently linked to the fact table by a key (such as here https://youtu.be/VV3tYTudNBY?t=313). So here instead we just have two tables, a single product table and a fact table.

If you took the second approach, would you then create a Category -> Sub category -> Product hierarchy to effectively replicate the snowflake schema approach? Would this be an optimal approach? Is there something else I am not considering? If this is the optimal approach, why would anyone use a snowflake approach instead?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, star Schema is preferred

Snowflakes work, but can be more expensive. It may not be material, but it's better practice to flatten to a single dim

Snowflakes are also less user friendly. How does a user know to go to 3 different tables to get all the info about a product?  Repeat for other dims. 
yes, you can create a hierarchy. Not to replicate the snowflake, but to model the data in a user value adding way. 
In my experience, people build snowflakes because
1. They come from a SQL background where snowflakes are often preferred

2. The data is a snowflake, and they don't know how to flatten it, or or know that they should. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Yes, star Schema is preferred

Snowflakes work, but can be more expensive. It may not be material, but it's better practice to flatten to a single dim

Snowflakes are also less user friendly. How does a user know to go to 3 different tables to get all the info about a product?  Repeat for other dims. 
yes, you can create a hierarchy. Not to replicate the snowflake, but to model the data in a user value adding way. 
In my experience, people build snowflakes because
1. They come from a SQL background where snowflakes are often preferred

2. The data is a snowflake, and they don't know how to flatten it, or or know that they should. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

interesting, I'll have to rethink my approach a little. going to have a read of this too as I expect it will be useful info. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/guidance/star-schema

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.