Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Snowflake Connector Bug - Role

The snowflake connector only works when I use my default role in the "Specify a text value to use as Role name" option. If I use a role that is not my default role (set in snowflake) it does not allow me to connect to the data. Power BI throws an error "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided." 
I am using the SSO/Microsoft Account option to authenticate to Snowflake. 

It works when I use my default role.

How can I get it to work when I use a different role that I have access to in Snowflake?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I fixed this in my account - in Snowflake within the Security Integration you need to enable EXTERNAL_OAUTH_ANY_ROLE_MODE.

ALTER SECURITY INTEGRATION {} SET EXTERNAL_OAUTH_ANY_ROLE_MODE = ENABLE;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AndrewSawyer

This bug is still present.

If I set my default role to PUBLIC, I can log into Power BI using AAD either leaving the 'Specify a text value to use as Role name (optional)' empty, or entering the value PUBLIC. If I enter any other value, I get a connection error.

If I set my default role to USR_ROLE_DATA_ENGINEER, I can log into Power BI using AAD either leaving the 'Specify a text value to use as Role name (optional)' empty, or entering the value USR_ROLE_DATA_ENGINEER. If I enter any other value (including PUBLIC), I get a connection error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I fixed this in my account - in Snowflake within the Security Integration you need to enable EXTERNAL_OAUTH_ANY_ROLE_MODE.

ALTER SECURITY INTEGRATION {} SET EXTERNAL_OAUTH_ANY_ROLE_MODE = ENABLE;

Confirmed this morning. This works.

Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have also seen this as a problem. After creating the security integration we are able to create the connection but we are only able to connect with the default role. Using another role gives an authentication error.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

See: Using SSO Between Power BI and Snowflake 

If you connect using the Microsoft Account option, an in-app browser window will open redirecting you to authenticate using your AAD tenant. 

To achieve the experience described above, you need to perform a one-time setup in Snowflake. Log in as an ACCOUNTADMIN in your Snowflake account, and create the security integration described in this doc. Ensure that the Power BI user exists in Snowflake and that it also matches the user in AAD. You can set up user-matching rules in multiple ways through security integration settings, but the most common way is to use the UPN value in AAD to match with the login_name of the Snowflake user. 

You can also refer the error messages workarounds from Snowflake document: Power BI SSO to Snowflake 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, we have created the Security Integration and it works. The only thing that does not work is the "Role" in the Connection options when I put in a Role that is not my default role in Snowflake.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.