Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

G3N3XT
Frequent Visitor

Smarter DateTime drill down aggregation?

Hi all, 

The default drill down behavior in PowerBI is that when using drill down for lets say from year -> day (this can be via quarter and month), it provides me with the the data per day of the month (first below). What I would like to drill down to however is the aggregation per day for each day in the total dataset (see 2nd image below). Thus providing me with an increasingly finer timeline with each level I drill down from the top level (can be from years->days but also for example from days -> seconds).

So I understand that I could somewhat achieve this behavior with building a custom date table that merges columns such as YrQtrMonthDay; and then built a custom hierarchy to this. But this is quite laborous and gets into a nightmare when drilling down into the time scale (a custom datetable would then get in the hundredths of millions of rows just for a few years).

So, what is the best way to achieve the drill down behavior as in the second image (especcially when also drilling down into the time scale; e.g. from weeks/days to hours or seconds)?

Hope you can provide me with a neath method for this, thanks in advance!

Format of the data:

DateTimeData (randNr0-100)
19-10-2019 15:0023
19-10-2019 16:0065
08-06-2021 07:002

PowerBI behavior:

Drill down behavior PowerBI.JPG

Desired behavior:

Drill down desired behavior.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @G3N3XT,

So you mean to drill through the records into time level? If that is the case, drill your records to the detail level(second) of time values and it will expand the records and obviously affect the performance.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you create a stand-alone timetable that accurately to the seconds level.
Then you can build the visuals that summary on date levels and design a report page with time level records that link to the raw table with 'drill through' features and filter on the date filter.

Set up drill through in Power BI reports 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @G3N3XT,

So you mean to drill through the records into time level? If that is the case, drill your records to the detail level(second) of time values and it will expand the records and obviously affect the performance.

In my opinion, I'd like to suggest you create a stand-alone timetable that accurately to the seconds level.
Then you can build the visuals that summary on date levels and design a report page with time level records that link to the raw table with 'drill through' features and filter on the date filter.

Set up drill through in Power BI reports 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

you would need to create the time fields and then stack the fields on top of each other, so assign a value to each level of granularity as the year quarter month date is.  It really depends on what type of analysis you are trying to do.  Usually its best practise to separate the date and time fields and do analysis on them separately.  if you supply some data in text form that would be useful to show you.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.