Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tomcat3
Helper I
Helper I

Smart Narrative date formatting options - no YYYY format

Using Smart Narrative with data range of 20 years. With auto-generated date fields, there is no YYYY (year only) option.

I can live with the closest option of YYYY-MM but my client does not like it. There is no point in referencing month number, it's all aggregated on a yearly granularity.

I am familiar with custom formatting in other contexts (SSRS), don't see an option here. Is there an M, DAX or VBA path to creating a custom entry?

Narrative formatting for dates.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Let me know if I am in the correct location described in your solution. 

The column is a true Date field with YYYY formatting. This is how I see the column in Desktop, but it does not carry forward to the Narrative control.

Please clarify "....If your first row date is 15/05/2022  type in the Fomat boc 2022 (yyyy)..."

Narrative date field formatting.JPG

View solution in original post

Not a solution, rather an acknowledgement the desired formatting is not available in Smart Narrative. We are re-factoring the design. We were aggregating at the yearly level as a rapid prototype. However, using Dataflows with Enhanced Compute Engine if very efficient and the added granularity (monthly) improves results in the related Key Influencer viz.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
speedramps
Super User
Super User

Thanks Tomcat3 for the better explanation.

Sorry, I dont use Smart Narrative.

Can you overtype the result with YYYY like you can on the Format menu ?

speedramps_0-1652651202889.png

Or could you add a YYYY measure and use that instead

Like in this example  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaZyR3-1ru4

Sorry I cant help more with this. If you dont get an answer then try asking a new question on the forum with the better description.  Sorry I misunderstood first time round. My bad !  ☹️

speedramps
Super User
Super User

Hi again Tomcat3

That looks great. Well done !

You have defined Model Year Date with Date Type = Date  (eg the source data = 15/05/2022)

But you have specfield the display format as yyyy.

So 15/05/2022 will still be stored as 15/05/2022 in your dataset,

but it will display as 2022 in visuals.

You are only showing partial screen shots so it is diffcult for me to see or understand you problem.

Please try provide as much info as possible.

The best method is to use Enter Data to copy and paste some demo data, save a PBIX on OneDrive, set share view access and post the the hotlink.  Click here for an example 

If you can create and share an example PBIX with the problem then it will help with a speedy resolution.  😁

I am posting a more inclusive screenshot. I am well aware of internal date storage and display formatting options. My question pertains specifically to formatting options for Smart Narrative (see original post).

The dropdown formatting control linked to the narrative does no have a "YYYY" option, the shortest available is "YYYY-MM" as shown. See lower-left corner where "2000-01" is displayed rather than the preferred "2000"Narrative formatting for dates second example.JPG

speedramps
Super User
Super User

If YYYY is missing from your Format drop down list then try this ....

Click on your date field in Fields (far right menu)

then click the Date icon (far left menu)

click on Column tools (top menu)  and Format (top menu)

If your first row date is 15/05/2022  type in the Fomat boc 2022 (yyyy).

Congrats, you hace now added YYYY to the format drop down list.

Read this guide

https://www.enjoysharepoint.com/power-bi-date-format/

Please click thumbs up and accept as solution buttons. Thanks 😁

Not a solution, rather an acknowledgement the desired formatting is not available in Smart Narrative. We are re-factoring the design. We were aggregating at the yearly level as a rapid prototype. However, using Dataflows with Enhanced Compute Engine if very efficient and the added granularity (monthly) improves results in the related Key Influencer viz.

Let me know if I am in the correct location described in your solution. 

The column is a true Date field with YYYY formatting. This is how I see the column in Desktop, but it does not carry forward to the Narrative control.

Please clarify "....If your first row date is 15/05/2022  type in the Fomat boc 2022 (yyyy)..."

Narrative date field formatting.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.