Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slowly Changing Dimension from Excel files

Hello PBI Community,

I'm new to SCD and need help learning how to set them up within Power BI. I have a client that has a bus roster with each bus having its own unique identifier, and rolls up into a provider. However, the buses over time sometimes switch providers and I need a way for the client to be able to see historical data using the data from the roster of that time period. 

The current data process has the client upload an excel file to a sharepoint folder to which is Power BI is connected. 

Any ideas/materials anyone can point me to to solve this problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable
4 REPLIES 4
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

I feel like a fanboy sometimes, try the article found @ https://www.sqlbi.com/blog/alberto/2011/02/09/powerpivot-and-the-slowly-changing-dimensions/.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is helpful but doesn't address my main issue, which is how do I ensure that when the client filters on previous dates that they will see accurate data for that time period, even though the dimension has changed?

@Anonymous -

You'll need to provide further information in regards to your data, otherwise we're making guesses as to possible solutions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.