cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Slowly Changing Dimension from Excel files

Hello PBI Community,

I'm new to SCD and need help learning how to set them up within Power BI. I have a client that has a bus roster with each bus having its own unique identifier, and rolls up into a provider. However, the buses over time sometimes switch providers and I need a way for the client to be able to see historical data using the data from the roster of that time period. 

The current data process has the client upload an excel file to a sharepoint folder to which is Power BI is connected. 

Any ideas/materials anyone can point me to to solve this problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable
4 REPLIES 4
ChrisMendoza
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous -

I feel like a fanboy sometimes, try the article found @ https://www.sqlbi.com/blog/alberto/2011/02/09/powerpivot-and-the-slowly-changing-dimensions/.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is helpful but doesn't address my main issue, which is how do I ensure that when the client filters on previous dates that they will see accurate data for that time period, even though the dimension has changed?

@Anonymous -

You'll need to provide further information in regards to your data, otherwise we're making guesses as to possible solutions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power BI Dev Camp Session 23 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Mark your calendars and join us on Thursday, June 30 at 11a PDT for a great session with Ted Pattison!

June 20 episode 7 with aka link 768x460.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Join us on June 20 at 11 am PDT when Kim Manis shares the latest on Azure Synapse analytics, the Microsoft Intelligent Data Platform, and notable Power BI Updates from Microsoft Build 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors