Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slow cumulative running total

This is a basic cumulative running total I am using...SUM1 is a calculated column that is a sum of 4 columns...no issues

I believe the issue is the date filter I am using...it is checking every date in every record to see if it is on or after the max date...anything i could do to speed this up?

Running Total = CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table_1'[SUM1]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED('Table_1'[Date]),
        ISONORAFTER('Table_1'[Date], MAX('Table_1'[Date]), DESC)
    )
)
9 REPLIES 9
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

To have the best of time intelligence prefer to have Date Dimension. Try formula like

SUM('Table_1'[SUM1]),
    FILTER(
        ALL('Date'),'Date'[Date]<= MAX('Date'[Date])
    )
)
    SUM('Table_1'[SUM1]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED('Date'[Date]),ISONORAFTER('Date'[Date], MAX('Date'[Date]), DESC)
    )
)

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Proud to be a Datanaut Connect on Linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you are tryig to do here. It makes alot of sense. But when I do this, my calculated sum is not right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is what I am doing:

I created a calendar table, created relationship with the date field in the "calendar relative" calendar table to the date in Table_1

Then I use this: 

SUM('Table_1'[SUM1]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED('Calendar Relative'[Date]),
        ISONORAFTER('Calendar Relative'[Date], MAX('Calendar Relative'[Date]), DESC)
    )
)

Hi @Anonymous ,

May I know if the speed became faster in your scenario after you create the calendar and change the formula for the calculated column ?

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

it did not...

i see the issue is the <=MAX date statement

I have tried the ISONORBEFORE with the max date and same issue....

@Anonymous wrote:

i see the issue is the <=MAX date statement

The MAX is not generally a big issue, you could optimise this a little by using a variable, but I'm pretty sure the MAX inside the filter predicate would get cached.

Running Total =
VAR _maxDate = MAX('Calendar Relative'[Date])
RETURN CALCULATE(
    SUM('Table_1'[SUM1]),
    FILTER(
        ALLSELECTED('Calendar Relative'[Date]),
        ISONORAFTER('Calendar Relative'[Date], _maxDate , DESC)
    )
)

Is this model in import mode or Direct Query mode? I've never really seen too many performance issues with running sums in import mode, but in Direct Query mode it would be highly dependent on the underlying relational engine storeage, indexing etc.
Anonymous
Not applicable

good suggestion, but it did not help.

This used to be a direct query, but the dax expression took over 2 minutes to run...i made it import awhile ago and its about a minute now....

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

This is a basic cumulative running total I am using...SUM1 is a calculated column that is a sum of 4 columns...no issues

Actually this can sometimes cause issues as calculated columns like this can often produce resulting columns that have much higher cardinality than the source columns resulting in higher memory usage and lower performance. 

The other issue could be the use of ALLSELECTED, this is a relatively expensive function and I don't think it's required for a typical running sum so try just swapping the ALLSELECTED for the ALL function. Or you could even try doing a SUMX and referencing the original 4 columns (if this is faster then you could remove your calculated column entirely)

SUMX('Table_1', col1  + col2 + col3 + col4),
    FILTER(
        ALL('Table_1'[Date]),
        ISONORAFTER('Table_1'[Date], MAX('Table_1'[Date]), DESC)
    )
)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestion, but neither solution helped improve the speed

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.