Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

guillouzada
Frequent Visitor

Slow DAX Formula Bar Input (Intellisense)

In Power BI Desktop DAX formula bar text input is very slow for bigger measures (greater than 50 lines). And it gets worst with measure size increase.

This is NOT the measure performance but the text input in formula bar for the measure.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or have the fix?

Already tried to change some options on Power BI Desktop and reinstalling. It improved a bit, but still lagging.

Thanks,

Guilherme

System specs:

- CPU Intel i7-9750H

- RAM 16GB 
- SSD NVMe 256GB

- GPU GeForce 1660 TI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @guillouzada ,

Based on my test, DAX studio works better than power bi when writing more than hundreds rows of DAX statement in this case, so I think could be a solution to help you.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @guillouzada ,

Haven't experienced this issues before at my end.

Is their any screesnhot you can share? Is the load time for formula bar taking a lot of time?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Actually this is slow while typing the text. The time to load the formula bar or accepting changes (click ok/enter) are fine.

Here's a video of the issue.

https://youtu.be/gAA7twz8yG0

Hi @guillouzada ,

This seems to be more like the issue regarding volume of data behind your Power BI file.

What size of data are you working with?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

@Pragati11 ,

Thank you for helping me. Really appreciate 🙂

If I create a new measure or even a new column with few lines the formula bar runs smooth and fast.

The main problem is with the calculated table formula that has 1500+ lines.

This table has only 731 rows. And it's a calculated table.

Here's the pbix file properties:

guillouzada_0-1600876534750.png

Best regards,

Guilheme

Hi @guillouzada ,

Just thinking now if is it really right to create a 1500+ lines of DAX code for a calculated table in Power BI.

What's the requirement that is making you do that?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

This case is only an example for my issue but I have other with big measures also.

I use those for measures and visuals performance improvement. Some cases that I'd use 30+ cards in the same page I can use only 1 visual with HTML. In this one we could drop the refresh time from 30s to 50~100ms.

Hi @guillouzada ,

Currently the DAX Formula Bar is expanded automatically by your dax statement and can only be zoomed. If you think the formula is slow, perhaps you can try to write it in DAX studio and paste it in power bi desktop to check whether it could help you.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-yingjl ,

Sure it could be a workaround but not a solution, right? While I don't find any I can sure use DAX Studio.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Guilherme

Hi @guillouzada ,

Based on my test, DAX studio works better than power bi when writing more than hundreds rows of DAX statement in this case, so I think could be a solution to help you.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.