Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jscottNRG
Helper II
Helper II

Slicing measures in calculated table

I'm having trouble with carrying over sliced measures in a calculated table. I believe I need to use a calculated table in order to reorganize my measures in a way that makes sense, i.e. not a single row table, which is what I get when I drop those measures into a table visual. I have a table of measures called 'My Calcs' that I'm using to organize measures from various other tables.

If I build a table using just the measures from 'My Calcs', I can apply slicers. But If I try to reorganize the measures using a calculated table with DAX like below, the measures in the calculated table are no longer sensitive to the slicers.

Inspection Item Results = 
UNION(
ROW("Inspection Item", "Item 1", "Pass Count", 'My Calcs'[Item 1 Pass], "Fail Count", 'My Calcs'[Item 1 Fail]),
ROW("Inspection Item", "Item 2", "Pass Count", 'My Calcs'[Item 2 Pass], "Fail Count", 'My Calcs'[Item 2 Fail]))

Here's the way I'd like the reorganized (calculated) table to look, but I can't figure out how to maintain the slicer effect once the measures are passed to this new table:

image.png

Any thoughts or guidance? Please let me know if more clarification is needed. I'm certainly open to any other method for reorganizing the measures in the way I've depicted, but I'm new to PBI and DAX and this is the only means I've found so far.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jscottNRG,

According to the description above, you should be able to follow steps below to reorganize the measures on a Table visual, instead of using a calculated table.

I assume you have table with a column called "Inspection Item" of value "Item 1", "Item 2"(if you don't have it yet, you need to add it first).

1. Use the formula below to create a new measure for "Pass Count".

Pass Count =
SWITCH (
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Table1'[Inspection Item], 1 ),
    "Item 1", 'My Calcs'[Item 1 Pass],
    "Item 2", 'My Calcs'[Item 2 Pass],
)

2. Use the formula below to create a new measure for "Fail Count".

Fail Count =
SWITCH (
    "Item 1", 'My Calcs'[Item 1 Fail],
    "Item 2", 'My Calcs'[Item 2 Fail],
)

Note: Just replace "Table1" with your real table name that has the "Inspection Item" column.

3. Then you should be able to show the "Inspection Item" column with the new "Pass Count" and "Fail Count" measure on the Table visual. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jscottNRG,

According to the description above, you should be able to follow steps below to reorganize the measures on a Table visual, instead of using a calculated table.

I assume you have table with a column called "Inspection Item" of value "Item 1", "Item 2"(if you don't have it yet, you need to add it first).

1. Use the formula below to create a new measure for "Pass Count".

Pass Count =
SWITCH (
    "Item 1", 'My Calcs'[Item 1 Pass],
    "Item 2", 'My Calcs'[Item 2 Pass],
)

2. Use the formula below to create a new measure for "Fail Count".

Fail Count =
SWITCH (
    "Item 1", 'My Calcs'[Item 1 Fail],
    "Item 2", 'My Calcs'[Item 2 Fail],
)

Note: Just replace "Table1" with your real table name that has the "Inspection Item" column.

3. Then you should be able to show the "Inspection Item" column with the new "Pass Count" and "Fail Count" measure on the Table visual. Smiley Happy

Regards

Fantastic!  Thanks v-ljerr-msft - I have over 200 "Inspection Items" so it wasn't exactly fast to implement this solution, but it worked exactly as intended and got me past my sticking point.

I appreciate the help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Realize that a calculated table is only "refreshed" when all your data is refreshed.  It isn't really "dynamic" and should be thought of just like any other table that you (say) pulled from SQL or a CSV.  It's... just a table (that happen to have gotten data via a DAX query, but that is irrelevant while lookin' and slicin' your report).

You can certainly create relationships w/ calculated tables, and slicers should work against the calculated table... but not "during refresh"... if you get me?

Many thanks for your reply scottsen -- that makes sense, and I suspected that the issue was something like what you describe.  Do you have a suggestion for reorganizing the measures in the way I've depicted?  I'd describe the measures as summary data, so by design I'm losing the observation-level identifiers (i.e. master key), which makes establishing a relationship between the calculated table and the source tables tricky, at least given my limited experience level!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would probably need to see more of your model (tables, relationships, etc) to provide further insight. 

Maybe... avoid the calculated table? 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.