Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PhilW
Regular Visitor

Slicers sharing the same source affecting different measures

Hi, 

I have a question about the usage of slicers, measures and tables, but maybe let me describe the problem first:

Consider having a table with a list of values from 1 to 41 which serves as a basis for two slicer.

Now I create two slicers referring to that very same table and I define three measures 

Test = Min(Sheet1[Series])
Test2 = Min(Sheet1[Series])
Test3 = [Test] + [Test2]

Using the interactions, I'm able to separate the interactions between the slicers and the different measures such that the left slicer affects only the measure Test, whereas the right slicer affects only Test2 (see below).
PBI_Community_question.png

Is there a way to adjust the measure Test3 (or Test and Test2) in a way, such that it will display the "true" result of 30? (without adding an additional series for the second slicer). I understand that 42 is the true true result as the minimum allowed value for Sheet1[Series1] is 21 and hence 21+21 = 42.
Maybe the question is more precisely formulated as follows:
Is it possible to make a set of slicers share the same source affecting different measures that it can be expressed in a DAX formula?
Something like
Test3 = Test + Test2
Test = MIN(Sheet1[Series]), IGNORE SLICER ON THE RIGHT)
Test2 = MIN(Sheet1[Series], IGNORE SLICER ON THE LEFT)

Many thanks in advance for your answers. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PhilW ,

According to your description, it seems that you want to use two slicer which refer to same column to calculate value , right? Based on my test, I find that when you use same source to create different slicers, it will use "and " logic on slicer and show the same result for test1 and test(show 21 for each value). So if you want to get correct value, please use different source(make slicers refer to different table or column).

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PhilW , are these slicers on different columns

then you can use like

Test = calculate(Min(Sheet1[Series]),all(slicer2))

Test2 = calculate(Min(Sheet1[Series]),all(slicer1))

Refer: https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/managing-all-functions-in-dax-all-allselected-allnoblankrow-allexcept...

or you use interaction to control that

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

Hi 

Thank you both for the hints and response, @amitchandak and @ryan_mayu .

I use the interaction control to assure, that the left slicer only affects the visual displaying the measure Test, and the right slicer only affects the visual displaying Test2. 

However, both slicers are referring to the same column, hence the proposed solution using ALL(Sheet1[Series]) would not work. 

I'm aware that I usually need one column for each slicer. However, my problem is that I have to create a dashboard where the input of maximum 120 what if parameters are required. Here, sets of four of these parameters appear to be in relatively similar ranges. This made me think that I could use shared slicer table columns to only have to deal with 30 instead of 120 tables / columns for slicer settings.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PhilW ,

According to your description, it seems that you want to use two slicer which refer to same column to calculate value , right? Based on my test, I find that when you use same source to create different slicers, it will use "and " logic on slicer and show the same result for test1 and test(show 21 for each value). So if you want to get correct value, please use different source(make slicers refer to different table or column).

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

PhilW
Regular Visitor

Hi @dax,

Thanks for the answer. Yes, you understood the problem correctly, I wanted to use the same source for two different slicers.

I was afraid that this indeed was not possible, especially when checking the Power BI internal DAX query that is used to display the visual of the measure Test3, which indeed uses an AND logic AND('Sheet1'[Series] >= 21, 'Sheet1'[Series] >= 9) resulting in 21.

Nevertheless I wanted to check with the community. 

Best regards,

Philip

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@PhilW 

Hope the document below is helpful.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.