Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

Slicers not working!

I am attempting to get any slicer to work, and neither the built-in slicer will work, nor the heirarchy slicer. I try to use a column from one table to select items from another table and I get nothing:

1.JPG

And yet, when I swap out 'Finding Title' with 'Finding_ID', it works fine:

2.JPG

This is of course, unacceptable. I can't be using a primary/foreign key for my slicer. I know that my table relationships are solid:

3.JPG

I am dumbfounded that PowerBI can't work this out. Is this just a broken feature, or is there something I am missing? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

I think I've figured out the problem: slicers are confused as to which key to follow. One would expect that the slicer would just follow the table relationship, but slicer is apparently overthinking it, ignoring the established table relationship, and looking at other keys, getting confused (because more than one possibility exists), and then just returning a blank. In the other records where there is no possibility of confusion, I am getting records returned from the related table.

Oh well. I'll try something else.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Cgull
Frequent Visitor

Could this be that the properties of the realtionship is only in one direction. 
Properties, cross filter direction,change from single to both.

joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

I think I've figured out the problem: slicers are confused as to which key to follow. One would expect that the slicer would just follow the table relationship, but slicer is apparently overthinking it, ignoring the established table relationship, and looking at other keys, getting confused (because more than one possibility exists), and then just returning a blank. In the other records where there is no possibility of confusion, I am getting records returned from the related table.

Oh well. I'll try something else.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @joglidden

Just to confirm your relationships are the right way around?

EG: 1-Many

Regards

Gilbert

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the question. Yes, it's correct, one-to-may in the indicated directions. I'm now thinking there is some sort of issue with the data, because some records will render the table-related data, and some will not. I'm thinking to recreate those records and see what happens.

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @joglidden

Based on the data model it should work. Can you share the pbix file in one drive to see what went wrong.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thank you so much for your offer to help, but I can't reveal any more of this data. I would have to mock it up somehow.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors