Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicers depend on each other

Hello all

I have several filters in my report.

I would like to have a dependency on the filters. When i change the "year" filter, it should refresh filter "subcat" with only the options available that have data to show.

(I made a new projcet where it works as expected with 3 filters)

My current project without any selected filters:

1.PNG

When i select a date:

2.PNG

It refreshes the Year correctly

But in the subcat are all options still available even though there are options without data:

3.png

I would like to hide the options without any valid values, is this possible? Why does it work with the year but not with the subcat?

Thank you and kind regards 

9 REPLIES 9
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous Please provide the snapshot of your data model. Is the SubCat field (Slicer) is available in the same table where you are pulling other two filters ? If not, if it is in separate table then those two tables have a valid relationship ? Sample data and snapshot of your data model will be really helpful

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PattemManohar

I will try to generate some sample data..

I have pulled two tables from our db, mainTable and a code Table. mainTable contains a column with SubCat, but its decoded. I made a "join" with the Code Table to show the encoded version. So in the SubCat Slicer abover its actually using a column of a different table

I just added another slicer with the original Subcat entry(decoded) and tried again, when doing the same filtering it shows an "Empty" entry.

@Anonymous Yes please, sample data will be helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PattemManohar

It will take some time but i will upload it asap.

Just in meanwhile, as we probably found the issue (Slicer values from another table), is there a way to include them anyways?

@Anonymous Good, then you need to have a relationship between those tables to filter values as per slicer selection (As you expect).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I already had a relation, see below.

Do i need to specify someting?

1.PNG

the red column "Text" is the one i use in my "SubCat" slicer.

Capstone
Resolver I
Resolver I

Is this a star schema ? Then have you tried bi directional filtering on the subcat table with your fact table ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Capstone

Thank you for the quick response.

Unfortunately i dont know neither what a star schema nor directional filtering is..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just tried it again, with the original SubCat column slicer it wont show any blank/empty results. But how'd came they are shown as Blank/Empty and not just hidden?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.