Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

patrick3
Helper II
Helper II

Slicers - Still show "items with no data"

Hi community,

So I'm building a report with multiple slicers - using one slicer should filter and leave visible only items with data for the other slicers, otherwise it's virtually unusable. 

Multiple solutions suggest to have "Cross filter direction" set to "Both" - but in my report I can only ever do that to 1 relationship, whenever I try to do it for another relationship I get the following warning (with column names being changes depending on which filter I use):

power-bi-error.JPG

It could be because of the way the model is built and the relationships are setup - i'm pretty much just playing around learning by doing which got me to this point (same structure worked perfect in PowerPivot models):power-bi-model.JPG

I've circled in red the tables i'm using as slicers in this particular report.
The metrics used in the report are created from both the bigger tables on the right and sometimes a combination.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Patrick

5 REPLIES 5
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @patrick3,

This is a general error message which appears when your data model contains multiple available relationships.(power bi can't confirm which relationship to link tables)

Please take a look at below link about similar issues.

Bi directional cross filtering/ambiguity

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure how those links help my particular slicer issue to be honest?

Thanks,

Patrick

HI @patrick3,

Actually, you not need to configure complex relationship in power bi. Power bi will auto link data tables with existing relationships.

That link also told about this. so my suggest is cut down current relationships and keep the less amount which power bi can analysis and link to each tables.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Not sure I follow - as far as I know, I've the least amount of relationships needed per my requirements.
Appreciate your help - maybe what I'm asking for is just not possible.

Thanks,

Patrick

HI @patrick3,

Actually, this issue is caused by multiple available relationships, power bi can't ensure which relationship available.(different relationship keys can cause different records mapping of tables)

Since power bi not support many to many relationship, so you can also turn off some relationship and keep only one available relationship link to each tables.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.