cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhaldane Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Slicer

Hello

I would like to have all of the below product types in my slicer so i can check waste volumes by product type, in a graph.

Something is not working though and i think it is because of the sum sign next to each name below?

Please can you support, 

Thank you

Jerry

products.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
HI_IM_THIBBY Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Slicer

Hello,

You won't be able to simply drag the fields into a slicer to have them be selectable. What I would do is create a table in your model that lists your product types. Go to your Relationships view in your model file. On the Home tab, click Enter Data (in External Data section). then manually input the product types you want in your slicer. You can name your column "Product Types". Click Load, this will create your table. You'll also need to link it up to the main table that'll have these product types. After creating the relationship, you will be able to drag this column into a slicer. It'd look something like this:

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Super User
Super User

@jhaldane as @AlexisOlson mention, unpivot your data and then set the relationship between two tables.

Unpivot is easy, selected first two columns and then choose "unpivot other columns", you will get two columns "Attribute" and "Value", rename those columns whatever you want and go from there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut! Connect with me on Linkedin

7 REPLIES 7
Regular Visitor

Hello,

You won't be able to simply drag the fields into a slicer to have them be selectable. What I would do is create a table in your model that lists your product types. Go to your Relationships view in your model file. On the Home tab, click Enter Data (in External Data section). then manually input the product types you want in your slicer. You can name your column "Product Types". Click Load, this will create your table. You'll also need to link it up to the main table that'll have these product types. After creating the relationship, you will be able to drag this column into a slicer. It'd look something like this:

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
Capture1.PNG

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Oh wait, I just realized that you have number values in those fields...doh.

Are those tracking the number of product types for a specific type? Like your Paper field is actually the number of products with type paper? 

Frequent Visitor

Hiya

The information is waste data.

So Paper and how many tons were generated in each month

Similairy Metal and how much was generated each month

Ive done the table, but, when

- i select product data type and

- i select what year

- Nothing appears on my graph :-)

snip shot.png

Regular Visitor

Hello,

Right, to do it this way you'll need something similar in your other table for it to filter correctly. You'll need a Product Type column in your main table, then create an active relationship between the 2 tables connecting Product Category to Product Category.

Frequent Visitor

hello :-)

I thought i had done that: see below

BI1.pngBI2.png

AlexisOlson Member

If you unpivot those ProductType columns, then it will be much easier to work with.

Super User
Super User

@jhaldane as @AlexisOlson mention, unpivot your data and then set the relationship between two tables.

Unpivot is easy, selected first two columns and then choose "unpivot other columns", you will get two columns "Attribute" and "Value", rename those columns whatever you want and go from there.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut! Connect with me on Linkedin