Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer with static filter not "slicing" when the slider is at max

Hi everyone.

I have noted an odd behaviour that I have found no reference of after some search, so I'd like to share it and ask if anyone knows how to avoid it. I'll use some simple, irrelevant data to show it.

I start with a simple date column and an arbitrary value:

Asanchezreyes_0-1648565340518.png

The date goes from February 1st to April 30rd; the value just goes up.

Now, let me add a simple filter to the slicer: is in the last 5 days. We'll see that the values of the slicer change, but are not reflected on the bar graph:

Asanchezreyes_1-1648565504523.png

It is true that the moment I move the slider from the extreme point, the slicing starts taking place, as we can see:

Asanchezreyes_2-1648565607559.png

Seems to me that while at min/max, the slicer "turns off", as to speak, and stops working. Is there any way to prevent this, and have the slicer always active?

-Bonus question: Instead of "in the last 5 days", I originally was looking for a bit more complex rule. I wanted to make a measure to filter the slicer so, it TODAY() is 5th of the month or earlier, it would show only the last month; otherwise it would show the current month. I have not been able to do this with a measure, altough I believed I managed to do it with a calculated column. Anyways, I refuse to believe a measure cannot do it, but the problem is measure force me to aggregate the date field. Is there a way to do it with a measure?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Alberto.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous if you use a filter on the visual, it will only impact that visual, not others, even your slicer range is changed, but will not have an impact on other visuals until you move the slicer, although if you put your filter as page level filter, it will filer all the visuals on the page.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous if you use a filter on the visual, it will only impact that visual, not others, even your slicer range is changed, but will not have an impact on other visuals until you move the slicer, although if you put your filter as page level filter, it will filer all the visuals on the page.

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply parry2k.

I guess it's how it is, I just belive it is a bit misleading since anyone looking at the slicer would think it is taking effect, but as you say we can always use a page-level filter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.