Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asjones
Helper IV
Helper IV

Slicer with Clustered Column Chart

I am new to Power BI (still trying to get people interested in it over Tableau) and trying to figure out a few things. I have a Clustered column chart with multiple values (bars).  I have columns for year to date (YTD) actuals, ytd budget, full year budget, prior year.  I want to have a slicer to see progress and change as it is adjusted.  However I only want the slicer to operate on certain column like YTD actuals and YTD budget and not the full year amounts or prior year amounts.

How do I do that in Power BI. I knew how to do that with Power Pivot.

thanks

Alan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@asjones

In Power BI Desktop, we can only limit the interaction for slicer with visuals. In this scenario, since those data fields (YTD actuals, ytd budget, full year budget, prior year) are in same clustered column chart visual, it's not possible to have slicer applied on specific data fields only. For your requirement, I suggest you separate those data fields into different chart, then "Edit Interactions" for differet chart, see: Create Complex Interactions Between Visualizations

676.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@asjones

In Power BI Desktop, we can only limit the interaction for slicer with visuals. In this scenario, since those data fields (YTD actuals, ytd budget, full year budget, prior year) are in same clustered column chart visual, it's not possible to have slicer applied on specific data fields only. For your requirement, I suggest you separate those data fields into different chart, then "Edit Interactions" for differet chart, see: Create Complex Interactions Between Visualizations

676.PNG

Regards,

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Alan,

There are quite a few ways to do this. I would suggest you to do this.

Page level filters can act as slicers. Adjusting the page level filters for those columns where you do not want the cross filtering can solve your problem.

FYI-- PowerPivot and PowerBI both have a same DAX Engine and PowerBI is evolved from PowerPivot.So if you know how to do that in  PowerPivot, It is essentilally the same calculation in PowerBI.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.