cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eniX Member

Slicer vs Filters-Section

Hi folks,

what is actually the difference between slicer and the filters (Filters section on the right side)? When should I use slicer and when a filter? So far I have always used slicers, but they start to take too much space on the canvas..

slicer_vs_filter.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
WolfBiber Member

Re: Slicer vs Filters-Section

Hey,

If you have an active Connection between 2 Visuals (select Slicer --> Format-->Edit Interactions) 

and filter i.e. a table, you can see that the slicer puts an "Visual Level Filter" to that target visual.

So a Filter is a Filter with different scopes,

A Slicer: Visualisation of a Filter.Unbenannt.png

Its mainly used to provide an easier and more convenient way to the end user to filter the visuals.

I use them to provide the end user an intuitive way to filter the "Main" Categories, i.e. Customer Types or similar.

Greetings

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
WolfBiber Member

Hey,

If you have an active Connection between 2 Visuals (select Slicer --> Format-->Edit Interactions) 

and filter i.e. a table, you can see that the slicer puts an "Visual Level Filter" to that target visual.

So a Filter is a Filter with different scopes,

A Slicer: Visualisation of a Filter.Unbenannt.png

Its mainly used to provide an easier and more convenient way to the end user to filter the visuals.

I use them to provide the end user an intuitive way to filter the "Main" Categories, i.e. Customer Types or similar.

Greetings

Jessemodbi Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

brentlightsey Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

A great article from DataVeld considering slicers in light of Power BI's new Filter Pane experience:

https://dataveld.com/2019/01/18/are-power-bi-slicers-still-relevant-with-the-new-filter-pane/