Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rmettu_1242
Frequent Visitor

Slicer values selection Vertical or Horizontal option missing in Power BI Desktop July verison

Hello,

In slicer setting --> General -->" Vertical or Horizontal selection" missing in Power BI Desktop July release.

and  "Selection Control"  option also missing

PBI July.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@rmettu_1242

Has your problem got resolved?

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

You definitely resolved the issue for me. Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
SDittmannFleet
Advocate III
Advocate III

I am on the latest release of Power BI desktop, and I only have "Vertical List", "Tile", and "Dropdown" as style options. "Horizontal List" is not there.

ok, so this is a bit ugly but this might be useful as a quick fix or the right way 🤔

You can actually resize the slicer box and it will select various format sizes as necessary as long as the Responsive Field in the Advanced Options for the Slicer ir set to On

If you select add slicer from vizualisations and add your field, the result seems to be a default vertical list option with quite a wide box.

If you then drag the left hand border slicer box arrow nearer to the right border Power BI will narrow the slicer box and it will automatically resize as you go.

I have found this works whether the Slicer Settings - Options - Style [is] Tile or Vertical List.

As Power BI develops it gets much simpler in some ways and more testing in others - the change of icon in Vizualisations from the old paint roller to the new columnar paint brush - is a significant change - and so solutions using the old paint roller need tweaking

While looking for images to show this process, I then came across this 😂

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-slicer-filter-responsive

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the option is missing in the cloud apparently

have i missed somthg or is it a kind of a bug ?

I had a report that worked perfectly well on my local desktop (with a vertical slicer) but when published, all my measures were blanked out.

The solution was :

- either forcing all the selections in the vertical slicer (as leaving the slicer values unselected lead to blank measures)

- or replacing the vertical slicer by the default one. With a classic slicer, no selection was not a problem, no blank at all.

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@rmettu_1242

Has your problem got resolved?

Best Regards,
Herbert

I can not view the vertical or horizontal option in the March 2019 version.

selection control options.JPG

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/11355

I cannot find the vertical or horizontal orientation selection either

As I understand it.  This is still not an option.  I know that it is in Tableau.

You definitely resolved the issue for me. Thanks!

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@rmettu_1242

You need to change the slicer to 'List' type, then these two options will be available.

Power BI Desktop July verison_1.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.