Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EricJamesHall

Slicer value to be used in measure calculation

Goal: Identify customers who have made purchases over the last X months but have not bought anything in the last Y months.

History

I watched a Power BI "How to" video that partly solved a problem I have then I downloaded their sample PBIX and was able to modify it to do exactly what I want to do. It uses a between slider from a measure using generated series.

I tried to do repeat the process in my own sandbox PBIX and I could display the MIN and MAX in a card but the values in a listing shows the MIN and MAX of the generated series.

This is a simplification of the working solution (no need to include revenue calculations)

FL All.PNG

Note that this is the working sample -- the First and Last measures in the table on the right contain the correct values. In my sandbox solution the cards produce the correct result but the table produced 2 and 12, respectively (the min and max of the generated series). One thing I noticed on the working sample is that the measure for the generated series has a symbol next to the name that says "FieldListParameter" while my sandbox just has a normal measure -- this is the only difference that I can find between the two. There is probably a simple solution to this but that symbol has totally distracted me.

I am intrigued by my inability to find information on the FieldListParameter measure type, so I am interested in 

1) how to create a "FieldListParameter" measure; and

2) how to get MIN/MAX to be based upon the selection with a normal measure used in the between slider.

THANK YOU

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EricJamesHall 

Is the screenshot from the working solution instead of your own demo?

To achieve the same as the screenshot, go to "Modeling"->"What-if parameter",

it would pop up a window as below, after completing the setting, it will generate a column named "Parameter" and a measure called "Parameter Value".

1.png

Then create two measures:

max = MAX(Parameter[Parameter])

min = MIN(Parameter[Parameter])

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EricJamesHall 

Is the screenshot from the working solution instead of your own demo?

To achieve the same as the screenshot, go to "Modeling"->"What-if parameter",

it would pop up a window as below, after completing the setting, it will generate a column named "Parameter" and a measure called "Parameter Value".

1.png

Then create two measures:

max = MAX(Parameter[Parameter])

min = MIN(Parameter[Parameter])

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.