cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EricJamesHall Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Slicer value to be used in measure calculation

Goal: Identify customers who have made purchases over the last X months but have not bought anything in the last Y months.

History

I watched a Power BI "How to" video that partly solved a problem I have then I downloaded their sample PBIX and was able to modify it to do exactly what I want to do. It uses a between slider from a measure using generated series.

I tried to do repeat the process in my own sandbox PBIX and I could display the MIN and MAX in a card but the values in a listing shows the MIN and MAX of the generated series.

This is a simplification of the working solution (no need to include revenue calculations)

FL All.PNG

Note that this is the working sample -- the First and Last measures in the table on the right contain the correct values. In my sandbox solution the cards produce the correct result but the table produced 2 and 12, respectively (the min and max of the generated series). One thing I noticed on the working sample is that the measure for the generated series has a symbol next to the name that says "FieldListParameter" while my sandbox just has a normal measure -- this is the only difference that I can find between the two. There is probably a simple solution to this but that symbol has totally distracted me.

I am intrigued by my inability to find information on the FieldListParameter measure type, so I am interested in 

1) how to create a "FieldListParameter" measure; and

2) how to get MIN/MAX to be based upon the selection with a normal measure used in the between slider.

THANK YOU

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Slicer value to be used in measure calculation

Hi @EricJamesHall 

Is the screenshot from the working solution instead of your own demo?

To achieve the same as the screenshot, go to "Modeling"->"What-if parameter",

it would pop up a window as below, after completing the setting, it will generate a column named "Parameter" and a measure called "Parameter Value".

1.png

Then create two measures:

max = MAX(Parameter[Parameter])

min = MIN(Parameter[Parameter])

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Slicer value to be used in measure calculation

Hi @EricJamesHall 

Is the screenshot from the working solution instead of your own demo?

To achieve the same as the screenshot, go to "Modeling"->"What-if parameter",

it would pop up a window as below, after completing the setting, it will generate a column named "Parameter" and a measure called "Parameter Value".

1.png

Then create two measures:

max = MAX(Parameter[Parameter])

min = MIN(Parameter[Parameter])

Best Regards

Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.