Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarkSL
Helper V
Helper V

Slicer using list of values with Synching?

Hi,

I have multi tab report where I need to offer the users a Slicer where they can query a LIST of Product Numbers, by either keying them or more likely pasting in a list.  The only way I can find to do this is to add the custom visual Filter List by Devsource which on first glance seemed to work great.  However I have just found that this does not offer synching, which is crucial to my report.  So the list is only applied to the page which the slicer resides and does not propogate down to the other tabs 😞

We've got over 10,000 products and if the user needs to compare performace of 50 it is not feasable to manually tick each Product Number from the check list of the default slicer.  

I am very surprised that Power doesn't offer an option to filter by list to their default slicer - hopefully this is in the works?

In the meantime, has anyone else come upon this and have a solution?  I hoped that I might be able to additionally add a default slicer on Product Number and then when I use the customer list filter it would also filter and then I could synch this and hide it.  However, whilst the selectiions made in the custom list do filter the default slicer, the checkboxes aren't ticked so it is not actually being applied.

Thoughts appreciated!

Mark

6 REPLIES 6
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @MarkSL,

It seems that you want to synchronize slicers across report pages in Power BI, you could refer to this document about how to use the feature Sync Slicers.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Thanks for looking, but no, this is not a question about the syniching of the default slicers which I do know about.

The question is specifically about allowing the user a way to query a LIST of values.  From what I can see there is no way to do this using the default tools.  I have found the custom visual as described in my question, but this does not support synching.

Hi @MarkSL,

If you use custom visual, I'm afraid that is not supported for Sync Slicers in Power BI currently.

As an workaround, you could create anoher Product number table with a list of Product number you want to query and create the realtionship with the original table with Product Number.

Then you could create a list slicer with the list of Product number you want to query by the default slicer visual in Power BI because only the default slicer in Power BI have the feature sync slicers.

When you want to query another list of Product number, you could change the data source of Product number table and click refresh in Power BI Desktop.

In addition, you could post your idea in Power BI ideas Forum and add your comments there to improve Power BI and make this feature coming sooner.

Hope this could make sense of you!

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Thanks again for your times and thoughts.  Unfortunately I don't think the users will want to maintain a list / data source outside of their Power BI report, especially when they have already been using the custom List box.

As suggested, I'll raise it on the ideas forum 🙂

Cheers

Mark

Hey. I am using this Mass Filter and would need to sync between tabs, but I can not figure out how. The built-in "Sync slicers" does not recognizes this visual and if I copy the visual PBI does not asks me if I would want to sync either. Can you help me how can I achieve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.